All Fun Facts >> Word Facts: Part 5
Fun Word Facts
- The word noon comes from the Latin word novem, which means ninth.
- The time we call noon (12:00 pm), was the nineth hour of the roman day.
- “Orange” became the term for a fruit in the English Language in the 13th century.
- In the 16th century it also became the term for a color.
- The word “happy” is used three-times more than “sad” in literature.
- In the Middle Ages, a “moment” was 1/40th of an hour, or 90 seconds.
- The term "second string" comes from the Middle Ages, when archers carried a second bow string as a backup.
Cite This Source
What's the difference between
Lose and Loose?