Can you divide
vacuum into syllables?
Syllables Definitions Rhymes
- A syllable is the sound of a vowel (A, E, I, O, U) that is created when pronouncing the letters A, E, I, O, U, or Y.
- The letter "Y" is a vowel only if it creates an A, E, I, O, or U sound.
- When two (or more) vowels are next to each other, the number of syllables depends on the number of vowel sounds.
- If a vowel is silent, it is not counted as a syllable.
- The number of times that you hear the sound of a vowel is the number of syllables in a word.
- Does the word end with "le" or "les?" This is a syllable if the letter before the "le" is a consonant.
What can $250 do for your classroom?
One prize is awarded to
one teacher, every month.
Does tongue have
1 or 2 syllables?
Do You Know
when you should use
Whether and Weather?
Parents, Teachers, StudentsDo you have a grammar question?
Need help finding a syllable count?
Want to say thank you?